August 15, 2019
A Red River Area Sportsmen’s Club meeting was held at the Kidder Recreation Area Henry Knight Mason Shelter from 7:30 to 8:30 PM. Greg Gerou, Kevin Manock, Cindie VanTassel, Vern Shasky, Becki Truesdell, Abby Heitkamp, Justin Kratz, Randy Hoerer, Jerry Oren, Greg Braun, Paul Sinner, Rich Truesdell and Wayne Beyer attended the meeting.
Motion-Second-Carried (MSC) – (Truesdell , Manock) to approve July 18, 2019 meeting minutes.
- Base Camp Data sharing system is ready to use.
- NDWF RAP Auction is scheduled at Schaumberg Arena in Bismarck at 11 AM on Saturday, August 24. Items include over 50 firearms, game blinds, tree stands, boat / motor and other confiscated equipment. Del Wayne Hoefs is also attending and other RRASC members were invited.
- 108 club members are registered.
- KBMW schedule is being worked out.
Junior Wildlife Club
- Dutch Oven Cooking was offered to 19 youths tonight. Food included delicious Coca Cola chicken, hash brown potatoes and peach cobbler.
- 18 youths attended Brunk’s Carp & Sucker Fishing Derby. Tom Parkman, Jerry-Judy Oren, Kelly Carlson and Larry Brunkhorst were volunteers.
- Rick Teberg is unable to continue as a committee member.
- Justin Kratz purchased left and right-handed bows for a future bow fishing event. They can be set for lower poundage for smaller children. He is working to get arrows.
- Fund-raiser is scheduled at the Community Center on Friday, October 25th.
- 500 $20 tickets will be printed.
- Early drawing prize is a Ruger rifle.
- Ten meat raffles are planned.
- Venison is needed for chili and stew. Chuck Haus has already donated some.
- Two large cooking pans are needed.
- St. John’s Mehok Center will be asked about using its kitchen. Southside Fire Hall may also be used.
- Raffle board will benefit the zoo.
- Econo Wine and Spirits is handling the alcohol.
- Raffle prize recruitment help is needed.
Youth Waterfowl Hunt
- Hunt is scheduled on Saturday, September 14th on Waterfowl Production Area sloughs around Tewaukon Refuge.
- Tim Phalen, Jack Lalor and Keith Frankki will set up duck decoys.
- Pre-hunt trap shoot and duck / goose calling by Drew Bajumpaa is scheduled at 5:30 PM on Friday, September 13th at the Head of the Red Trap Club north of Breckenridge.
- Mentors include Justin Kratz, Drew Bajumpaa, Kevin Manock and Greg Braun. More are needed.
- Greg Gerou, Steve / Grant Manock and Dave Langenwalter are among breakfast volunteers.
- Great Bend Locker is smoking sausage for the breakfast meal.
- $1500 Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation grant was awarded for the youth hunts.
Youth Pheasant Hunt
- Greg Gerou and Mark Althoff are planning a visit to the Chuck Haus farm west of Hankinson to make arrangements.
- Orange vests have been purchased for the youth hunters.
- Pre-hunt trap shoot is scheduled on Friday, October 4th at the Mooreton Trap Club.
- The hunt is limited to 15 youths.
Red River Committee
- Brett Lambrecht requested $20,000 from City Finance Committee towards south-side road access project. City officials did not approve funding due to frequent flooding of the area. Brett will study the site with City Engineer Dennis Miranowski regarding options. Club members asked if the fishing pier could be placed elsewhere.
- Shea Truesdell’s Eagle Scout project consists of placing five benches along river shoreline fishing areas.
- Dock and fishing piers were worked on for placement.
- Dock needs new wheels and some fishing pier boards need to be replaced.
- Most desirable locations continue to be studied.
- ND Game-Fish will be asked about funding support.
- Expenses included Ace Hardware – $175.45 for public address system straps, Cindie VanTassel – $25.07 for Jr. Wildlife meal, NDSCS – $205.24 for brochures, Rich Truesdell – $216.74 for Mooreton Pond dock / pier materials and Greg Gerou – $66.64 for Mooreton Pond work night volunteers.
- Income included memberships – $210, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation – $1500 for youth hunts and Catfish Tournament entry fees – $120.
- Checking account balance is $26,412.21.
- MSC (Mund, VanTassel) to approve financial report.
- SE Sportsmen’s Club meets at south-side Lake Elsie American Legion Hall on Tuesday, November 26th.
- No scholarship applications have been received.
- Proposed waterfowl hunting contest will be determined by highest number of species harvested.
- Email club related pictures to Abby Heitkamp for publicity.
- Minnesota DNR continues to find zebra mussels in new lakes.
- Unfortunately zebra mussels were found in Lake Ashtabula / Sheyenne River.
- Breckenridge High School fishing team finished 5th in the championship tournament.
- ND Game-Fish provided generic fishing pier sign logo for consideration.
- Bismarck mechanical engineering student requested funding support for a Robo deer that could be used for archery practice. Total cost is $250. Greg Gerou will follow-up.
- Northern Lights Council will be requesting funding for ammunition.
- Club float will be pulled during Headwaters Day Parade on Saturday, September 14th.
Calendar of Events
- August 15, 2019, 6:00-7:00 PM – Jr. Wildlife Club, Dutch Oven Cooking, Kidder Recreation Area, Wahpeton.
- August 15, 2019, 7:30-9:00 PM – Member Meeting, Kidder Recreation Area, Wahpeton.
- August 19, 2019, 6:30-8:30 PM – Family Fishing Night, Kidder Recreation Area, Wahpeton.
- September 13, 2019, 6:00-7:00 PM – Jr. Wildlife Club, Trap Shooting or Archery, Breckenridge Trap Club.
- September 14, 2019 – Youth Waterfowl Hunt, Tewaukon National Wildlife Refuge Area, Cayuga.
- October 17, 2019, 6:00-7:00 PM – Jr. Wildlife Club, Air Rifle, Wahpeton Community Center.
- October 17, 2019, 7:30-9:00 PM – Member Meeting, Wahpeton Community Center.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.
Club Website www.RRASC.net
Follow us on Facebook! Red River Area Sportsmen’s Club