February 21, 2019
A Red River Area Sportsman’s Club meeting was held at the Wahpeton Community Center from 7:30 to 9:00pm on Thursday February 21, 2019. Greg Braun, Abby Heitkamp, Greg Gerou, Vern Shasky, Wayne Beyer, Jerry Oren, Curt Mund, Mary Bostrom, Nathan Rausch, Justin Kratz, and Paul Sinner attended the meeting. MSC (P. Sinner & A. Heitkamp) to approve January 17th minutes.
- Spring Banquet – Thursday, April 26th – We are in need of a guess speaker.
- North American Game Warden Candidate – Do you know of a candidate? W. Beyer nominated Doug Lier.
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Fundraiser Sponsorship – March 23rd at the Wahpeton Community Center. We are in need of two more volunteers to assist with the children’s games. In the past have donated funds for a children’s prize. MSC (W. Beyer & V. Shasky) to approve a donation for 2019 fundraiser.
- Request for a donation for the Wyndmere Make a Wish fundraiser from Dick Bell. In 2018 we donated rods and reels that raised $75. MSC (G. Braun & J. Oren) to donate stock fishing equipment to the upcoming fundraiser.
- Bill payments includes the following but is not limited to: $50 to Sacajawea Membership, $77 SE ND Sportsmen’s meeting, $55 in stamps, $43.98 to Beyers for Jr Wildlife Clubs Food, $182 ND Fish & Game, $447.30 G. Gerou for NDWF Conference, 147.12 to C. Van Tassel for Heitkamp Fishing Derby Food, $100 pheasant mount to J & K Taxidermy for youth hunt, $303.33 V. Shasky for Heitkamp Fishing Derby, $50 ND Sportfishing Congress, $1300 to Bigwood’s Electric for AR riffle for upcoming smoker, $500 to Heitkamp Construction for the Heitkamp Fishing Derby.
- Money received includes the follow but is not limited to: $500 from Minn-Dak for the Heitkamp Fishing Derby, $500 from Doosan for the Heitkamp Fishing Derby, $2000 from ND Fish & Game for youth hunts
- Checking account balance $32,601.00
- MSC (P. Sinner & J. Oren) to approve the treasurers report
& Recreation (Wayne
- ND Fish & Game Volunteer Conference Saturday February 16th two of our members received awards.
- Greg Gerou received a knife for 15 years of volunteer service
- Cindie Van Tassel received binoculars for 20 years of volunteer service
- March 21, 2019 Hunters Ed Workshop. W. Beyer has Hunter Ed Raffle Tickets for purchase
- No Trespassing Bill was approved with a 28/18 loss in the Senate
- If this bill passes through the house it is planned to develop an online database where land owners will be required to submit all land to the database. The data base will list all land in colors. Green land would be open to public hunting, yellow land would require asking permission, and red land is post. Any no hunting or trespassing signs would override the data base. This bill does not contain a funding source. The projected estimate to develop this system is $1,000,000.
- ND Sportfishing Congress – Banquet April 27, 2019.
- Head of the Red Rifle Club funding request for the rifle range in the amount of $1400 for jacking of cement slabs.
- Milnor requested trap club support
on adding ducks and geese to the contest. We need to formulate how track these
- Turkey beard (adult) – Joe Keller, 9.25”, Sheyenne River Valley, 5-6-18
- Pheasant Feather (adult)- Mark Althoff, 22.75″
- Pheasant Feather (adult)- Joe Keller, 22.75″
- Elk (adult) – Nathan Rausch, 323” 10-21-2018
- Chinook Salmon (adult) – Don Resler, 53.6”, Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Coho Salmon (adult) – Brian Resler, 15 lb., Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Crappie (adult) – Mark Althoff, 14.75”, Long Lake, 6-27-18.
- Halibut (adult) – Brian Resler, 50 lb., Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Largemouth Bass (adult) – Vern Shasky, 19.25”, Pearl Lake, 6-2-18.
- Northern Pike (youth) – Hunter Gregor, 28.5”, 8-1-18.
- Sockeye Salmon (adult) – Don Resler, 12 lb, Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Walleye (adult) – Mark Althoff – 28.5”, Long Lake, 6-2-18.
- Rainbow Trout (adult) – Rick Teberg, 21.5”, MS.
- Brown Trout (adult) – Nathan Rausch, 14” Colorado 7-13-2018
- Yellow Perch (youth) – Adyson Heitkamp, 10″, Heitkamp Pond, 2-16-19
- SE Area Sportsman’s Club Committee
- Jr. Wildlife Club Committee (Cindie VanTassel, Rick Teberg & Rich Truesdell)
- February 2019 Archery Shoot – 18 kids attended
- In March we will be building bird houses
- Two new requests for Jacob Berg & Hunter Berg. Both applicants are from Wahpeton and are attending Valley City State University
- We have a total of three applicants that need to be reviewed by the committee.
- Heitkamp Fishing Derby (Cindie Van Tassel, Vern Shasky)
- Big thank you to Heitkamp Construction and everyone who volunteered, especially V. Shasky and Cindie Van Tassel.
- 209 kids fished the tournament
- 80 fish were caught including a 15” crappie and a 13 lb. Buffalo head
- Recommended for next year that we move the weigh in to the center on the ice
- Public Relations Committee (Rich Truesdell, Joe Keller, Brad Glarum and Cindie Van Tassel)
- Keep sharing photos – helps create a larger audience on FB
- Red River/ANS Committee (Brett Lambrecht, Rich Truesdell and Larry Brunkhorst)
- Bois De Sioux Project
- Mooreton Pond (Brad Glarum, Greg Gerou, Vern Shasky, Rich Truesdell)
- MN DNR Project (Cindie Van Tassel)
- MN Fishing League (Cindie Van Tassel)
- Dick Bell Cat Fishing Tournament (Justin Kratz)
- We cannot transport fish in water, over land
- Consider adding a second scale upriver to weigh in additional fish
- Brad Durrick is not available for this event but would be in March or April as a guest speaker. Consider having him the as the guest speaker at our April banquet
- New elections will take place in May of 2019, we are looking for nominations for Sportsman of the Year Award, Lifetime Achievement Award, and Lifetime Membership Award
- May election for board member positions including President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and two directors
- Considering upgrading our 50-watt amp to an 800 – 1000-watt amp for better audio performance. Rough cost is $300. We use this system a few times a year.
- Deer Hide Dumpsters – we collected 190 hides and earned $647.57. This money goes toward the dumpster rental.
- Ed Korth memorial asked for funds to be donated to youth hunts and hunter education.
- W. Beyer will apply for Game & Fish Youth Hunt Grants – the deadline is in April.
- January 17, 2019 Correction should read: Need to look at purchasing accounting software. QuickBooks has a cost of roughly $200
- March 1, 2019 – Great Bend Fish Fry
- March 16, 2019 – Buffalo Smoker
- March 18, 2019 – Hunter Education Begins
- March 21, 2019 – Jr. Wildlife Bird House
- March 21, 2019 – RRASC Monthly Meeting
- March 29, 2019 – Campbell/Lions Fish Fry
- March 31, 2019 – Head of the Red Annual Banquet
- April 8, 2019 -Jr Wildlife Club Tewaukon National Wildlife Refuge
- April 25, 2019 – Member Spring Banquet
meeting is scheduled at the Wahpeton Community Center on Thursday, March 21th. There
was no further discussions and meeting was adjourned.