July 18, 2019

A Red River Area Sportsman’s Club meeting was held at Mooreton Pond from 7:30 to 9:00pm. Members in attendance: Greg Braun, Greg Gerou, Cindie VanTassel, Vern Shasky, Thomas Parkman, Becci Truesdell, Rich Truesdell, Abby Heitkamp, Del Hoefs, Curt Mund, Joe Keller, and Mary Bostrom.

MSC by Greg B and Abby to approve June 16, 2019 minutes.


Presidents Report (Greg Gerou)

  • BaseCamp as website option – can be used to send meeting reminders, events, etc
  • R.A.P. Auction: August 24, Bismarck
    • Greg G has sent out list of items, but any updates will be posted on the NDGF website
  • Camp Wilderness grant application was sent out

Treasurers Report (Greg Braun)

  • 25.2% of the annual budget has been spent through the end of June 2019
  • Checking account balance $26,450
    • $120 deposited: catfish tourney fees
  • MSC by Cindie and Curt

Parks & Recreation (Wayne Beyer)

  • Del Hoefs represented the Richland Parks & Rec and gave updates on Mooreton Pond – wood posts will come out later in the week – culvert had been plugged and was being worked on – building up the west end and putting in parking lot later in the fall – dock location may be moved next year, and a few boards will need to be replaced – 2nd dock maintenance coming in next few weeks
  • $2000 grant was awarded to the club
  • The benches for the Eagle Scout project have been ordered

Secretary Report (Mary Bostrom)

  • Mary will work with the Board members to consolidate lists of names and email addresses for alignment

Hunters Smoker (Vern Shasky, Becci Truesdell, Rich Truesdell, Curt Mund, Abby Heitkamp)

  • Oct 25, 2019, Wahpeton Community Center
  • Will not be able to get into the WCC until Friday, there is another event on Thursday, but committee to follow up and confirm
  • Rich and Dale Rubish from the fire dept have discussed interest of fundraising to turn the WCC kitchen into a commercial kitchen – nothing further decided at this time
  • There was further discussion at this meeting about the number of and cost of tickets – discussion included limiting the number of tickets and whether to increase the price – more info to come
  • A question was brought up whether or not a liquor license would be required – committee to follow up on this

SE Area Sportsman’s Club Committee (Curt Mund, Vern Shasky)

  • o No update – Vern to find out next meeting date

Jr. Wildlife Club Committee (Cindie Van Tassel, Rick Tebert, Rich Truesdell)

  • o 5 kids attended event at Mooreton Pond

Scholarships Committee (Patrick Brejcha, Rich Truesdell, & Vern Shasky)

  • o No update

Club Contests

  • Hunting – no updates
  • Fishing
    • Abby Heitkamp: 10” crappie, May 20, Lake Belle Taine
    • Curt Mund: 28.5” walleye and 17” large mouth, July 6, Pomdeterre Lake
  • Waterfowl Challenge – will go by the number of species harvested; honor system

Public Relations Committee (Rich Truesdell, Joe Keller, Brad Glarum and Cindie Van Tassel)

  • Headwater Parade: Sep 14
  • NDSCS Parade: Oct 12
  • Brochure has been updated and is being reviewed
    • Looking at ordering 1000 at $0.20 each
    • MSC to approve brochures by Vern and Greg B
  • Facebook (Abby Heitkamp)
    • No update
  • Website (Becci Truesdell)
    • Becci presented online payment option for dues and potentially other events – there is a $0.29 processing fee; would increase dues to $11.00 to account for processing fee
    • MSC to move forward with online payment option by Greg G and Cindie

Red River/ANS Committee (Brett Lambrecht, Rich Truesdell and Larry Brunkhorst)

  • Ground is soft – looking into gravel work before fall

Bois De Sioux Project

  • No updates

Mooreton Pond (Brad Glarum, Greg Gerou, Vern Shasky, Rich Truesdell, Del Hoefs)

  • See above notes from Del

MN DNR (Cindie Van Tassel)

  • Working on communication regarding deer
  • Loons are dying and have tested positive for West Nile

MN Fishing League (Cindie Van Tassel)

  • 4 teams went to Rush Lake – 2 of those teams places
  • NDGF is looking into adding a high school fishing league
Old/New Business
  • Fishing pier signs and locations; will be looking into NDG&F signs if available
  • Recruitment Committee has not met yet (Rich Truesdell, Abby Heitkamp, Becci Truesdell, Greg Gerou)
  • Bill Dablow at KBMW hosts open mic and has an opening for a weekly guest; 8:20 AM on Wednesdays
    • Suggested that RRASC participate in the open mic
    • Topics could expand from RRASC events to NDG&F, US Wildlife, NWTF, etc.
    • 10-15 min radio spot once a week (Wed at 8:20 AM) for a year
    • No cost to the club
    • Club would create a calendar, and is looking for volunteers to present the topics
  • Bowfishing opportunities (Justin Kratz): still looking for bows; will be putting out ads for equipment
Calendar of Events
  • August 15, 2019, 6:00-7:00 PM – Jr. Wildlife Club, Dutch Oven Cooking, Kidder Recreation Area, Wahpeton
  • August 15, 2019, 7:30-9:00 PM – Member Meeting, Kidder Recreation Area, Wahpeton
  • August 19, 2019, 6:30-8:30 PM – Family Fishing Night, Kidder Recreation Area, Wahpeton
  • September 13, 2019, 6:00-7:00 PM – Jr. Wildlife Club, Waterfowl Hunt Trap Shooting or Archery, Head of the Red Trap Club
  • September 14, 2019 – Youth Waterfowl Hunt, Tewaukon National Wildlife Refuge, Cayuga
  • October 17, 2019, 6:00-7:00 PM – Jr. Wildlife Club, Air Rifle, Wahpeton Community Center
  • October 17, 2019, 7:30-9:00 PM – Member Meeting, Wahpeton Community Center

The next meeting is scheduled at Kidder Recreation Area, Wahpeton on Thursday, August 15th. There was no further discussions and meeting was adjourned.

Family Fishing Registration
A limit of 20 will be accepted at each event.

Club Website www.RRASC.net
Follow us on Facebook! Red River Area Sportsmen’s Club