July 19, 2018
A Red River Area Sportsmen’s Club meeting was held on the 19th day of July at the Wahpeton Community Center. Cindie VanTassel, Brett Lambrecht, Abby Heitkamp, Vern Shasky, Jerry Oren, Greg Gerou and Wayne Beyer attended the meeting.
MSC (VanTassel, Shasky) to approve June 21st, 2018 minutes.
- NDWF youth activities raffle tickets will be available at upcoming events.
- Chuck Haus is interested in obtaining wood duck nest boxes if any club members have available ones.
- Mooreton Trap Club is replacing two trap shooting houses at estimated costs of $13,000 to $15,000.
- Billy Dablow, KBMW radio has interest in the X-Box / Tackle Box program, where youths exchange X-Boxes for fishing tackle boxes.
- Expense – KBMW advertising $18.00
- Expense – Econo Foods for night crawlers $6.01
- Checking account balance is $
- ND Wildlife Federation (NDWF) met in Watford City on Wednesday, July 11th to check on possible habitat projects. Greg and Wayne attended the NDWF quarterly meeting in Velva on Thursday, July 12th. Meeting highlights were reported.
- Sales Tax-ND RRASC must pay taxes; Park Board is tax exempt
- Lewis & Clarke club raised $6700 for youth trap clubs – Milnor adds trap club. Youth Trap clubs are on the rise – 49 teams in ND and changing to a 3-day state shoot
- Tewaukon – New Building plans to add Wildlife Exhibit. Oak tree memorials leaves purchased for past member memorials
- NWTF latest addition featured the RRASC Youth Pheasant hunt in their magazine
Jr Wildlife Club
- zoo tour and indoor activities due to the weather and served taco in a bag
- Turkey beard (adult) – Joe Keller, 9.25”, Sheyenne River Valley, 5-6-18
- Crappie (adult) – Mark Althoff, 14.75”, Long Lake, 6-27-18.
- Largemouth Bass (adult) – Vern Shasky, 19.25”, Pearl Lake, 6-2-18.
- Walleye (adult) – Mark Althoff – 28.5”, Long Lake, 6-2-18.
Public Relations Committee
- 1000 lanyards were purchased that will be given to youths.
- There are around 250 Facebook friends.
Red River / ANS Committee
- Access Still Working; area getting gravel is marked
- West side will be adding more gravel
- West side needs floats added
Family Fun Fishing Night
- Troy Richards from the MN DNR attended. Troy gave boat tours and fish identification. Fishing roads were handed out to all who attended. Volunteers were great.
Youth Waterfowl Hunt
- September 15th – looking for mentors & volunteers
Youth Pheasant Hunt
- Make initial contact Chuck & talk about releasing pheasants.
- Current Pheasant counts are down 30% across ND.
Discussed hosting a “Walleye School” this winter in Wahpeton/Breckenridge, Mike from Fishing would teach the class. It would consist of 2.5 hour class/seminar, older kids & adults recommended. Handout was dispersed.
- $30.00 for adults or $500.00 total
Mooreton Trap Club is looking to replace throwing housing. Looking for funding, Grant applications submitted.
- Sump pump, drain tile, electric, same material wood basement, project starting 04/2019 and is project to cost $13,000-$14,000.
- Grant will be decided upon by October 2018
Vern Shasky – ND Advisory meeting regarding deer hunting and youth hunting. Discussions were how to get youth hunter more than 1 youth tag? Current youth hunters qualify for 1 youth tag per life time and after the use of the tag they are entered into the general lottery. How do we increase the youths chances at getting a deer tag? Should youth get priority? What do other states do? Do we write up a proposal?
Wayne Beyer – Carp and Sucker derby on Aug. 4th. Requested 1 to 4 volunteers.
Calendar of Events / Announcements.
- Monday, August 13th – Family Fishing Night at Kidder Rec Area from 6:30 to 8:30 PM.
- Thursday, August 16th – club meeting at Community Center at 7:30 PM.
- Saturday, August 18th – Prairie Wetlands 20th Birthday Celebration from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- Fall Hunter Education will meet August 20, 21, 22, 23, 27, 28, 29 and August 30th from 6:30pm-9:00pm
- Thursday, August 23rd – Jr. Wildlife archery at Wahpeton outdoor range.
The next meeting is scheduled at Wahpeton Community Center on Thursday, August 16 at 7:30 PM.
MSC (Beyer, Van Tassle) to adjourn the meeting.