June 21, 2018
A Red River Area Sportsmen’s Club meeting was held at the Wahpeton Community Center from 7:30-9 PM on Thursday, June 21, 2018. Greg Gerou, Greg Braun, Dave Langenwalter, Dick Bell, Cindie VanTassel, Paul Oehlke, Justin Kratz, Paul Sinner, Rich-Becki Truesdell and Wayne Beyer attended the meeting.
MSC (Oehlke, Braun) to approve May 17, 2018 minutes.
- ND conceal carry class will be taught by John Boelke on Saturday, June 30th at the Community Center. Registration starts at 1 PM. They will shoot at the shooting range after the indoor class. One additional volunteer to help with set-up and take-down would be appreciated.
- Duck decoys should be sorted, then surplus donated to Jr. Wildlife members or sold. Justin Kratz said six-pack mallard decoys are available from Dakota Decoys for $47.
- $20 ND Wildlife Federation tickets remain available. Drawing is scheduled on Friday, June 29th.
- High School Clay Target League was highlighted. There are 1,403 students from 49 North Dakota high school teams participating in the North Dakota State High School Clay Target League (NDSHSCTL) 2018 spring trap shooting season, which began April 1st. Last year there were 908 students on 38 teams.
- Logan Klosterman from Mooreton, Wahpeton team member, received a personal invitation to participate in the 2018 National Championship. Over 2,000 of the nation’s best youth clay target student athletes will compete for the title of National Champion! The National Championship is the first and only event when the best USA High School Clay Target League participants nationwide are invited to compete at the same venue! Student athletes and teams from all over the nation will congregate in Mason, Michigan on July 12-15, and thousands of spectators will be there to cheer them on.
- 11,936 student participants from 349 high school teams are participating in the Minnesota State High School Clay Target League’s (MNSHSCTL) 2018 spring season, which began April 1st. Those are the highest participation numbers ever for the state, according to League officials. Charles Boldingh, Breckenridge shot 99 /100.
- Volunteers are needed at the ND Game-Fish Outdoor Skills Camp during the ND State Fair in Minot on July 20-29.
- Catfish Tournament entries netted $210.
- Dakota Playground / fishing pier benches cost $4120.52.
- Checking account balance is $13,074.98.
- MSC (Bell, Sinner) to approve treasurer’s report.
- ND Wildlife Federation meetings are scheduled in Watford City (tour) on Wednesday, July 11th and Velva (quarterly meeting) on Thursday, July 12th.
- NDGF Fall Advisory Board Meeting has been offered to Wahpeton on Monday, December 3rd. MSC (Bell Langenwalter)to approve same.
- Tewaukon Refuge Open House is scheduled on Tuesday, June 26th from 10 AM to 4 PM.
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation awarded a $1500 grant for this fall’s youth hunts.
Jr. Wildlife Club
- Field trip to wildlife museum near Dalton, MN is scheduled on Wednesday, June 27th.
- Zoo scavenger hunt is scheduled on Thursday, July 19th from 6-7 PM.
Minnesota Fishing League
- 42 teams, including Breckenridge competed at Ten Mile Lake on Wednesday, June 20th.
- All ten Breckenridge youths placed in the top 20.
- Turkey beard (adult) – Joseph Langenwalter, 9.75”, Bois de Sioux River, end of season.
- Crappie (adult) – Greg Braun, 13.5”, Silver Lake, May.
- Largemouth Bass (adult) – Vern Shasky, 19.25”, Pearl Lake, 6-2-18.
Public Relations Committee
- Becci Truesdell reported the web site has been updated with new SSL certificate.
- Volunteers are needed at Free Zoo Night on Tuesday, July 24th from 5-7 PM.
- Abby Heitkamp invites Facebook entries.
Red River / ANS Committee
- Rich Truesdell asked that path be mowed to Bois de Sioux River fishing pier.
- Fishing pier benches were received and anchors ordered.
- Don Bajumpaa will evaluate Kidder fishing pier shoreline improvements.
- ANS project / plans were discussed. Cindie VanTassel suggested the club sponsor an event. Club members desire to fulfillany expectations.
- Costs will be obtained for adding electricity and lights to the Henry Knight Shelter
- Gravel needs to be moved from Korey Skovholt yard.
- Work night will be scheduled for putting on floats.
- Home is needed for second fishing pier.
- Lots of fishermen are using both the steel and rock fishing piers.
- Trout bite has been phenomenal.
MN DNR Projects
- Cindie VanTassel continues to follow-up about the Bois de Sioux River fishing pier.
Family Fishing Nights
- 17 people attended the June 11th session at the Kidder Recreation Area.
- Volunteers were great.
- Fish identification was added as fourth station.
- Next up is Monday, July 16th at Welles Memorial Park.
Dick Bell Catfish Tournament
- Tournament Chair Justin Kratz reported there were 30 participants, including 21 adults and nine children.
- Top catfish included adults – 5 lb, 2 oz and youths – 3 lb, 4 oz.
- It helped to have professional catfish guide Brad Durich promote the tournament, attracting a couple West Fargo fishermen.
Calendar of Events / Announcements
- Tuesday, June 26th – Tewaukon Refuge Open House – 10 AM to 4 PM.
- Wednesday, June 27th – Jr. Wildlife / Preserve the Tradition Museum Field Trip.
- Thursday, July 19th – Jr. Wildlife zoo scavenger hunt from 6-7 PM.
- Thursday, July 19th – Club meeting at Community Center at 7:30 PM.
- Wednesday, August 1st – Brunk’s Carp & Sucker Derby at Kidder Recreation Area from 1-4 PM.
The next meeting is scheduled at the Wahpeton Community Center on Thursday, July 19th at 7:30 PM.
MSC (VanTassel, Langenwalter) to adjourn the meeting.