May 17, 2018
A Red River Area Sportsmen’s Club meeting was held on the 17th day of May, 2018 at the Wahpeton Community Center. Murray Smart, Greg Braun, Larry Brunkhorst, Justin Kratz, Cindie VanTassel, Mary Bostrom, Nathan Rausch, Rick Truesdell, Becci Truesdell, Abby Heitkamp, Mark Althoff, Curt Mund, Vern Shasky, Jerry Oren, Randal Hoerer, Paul Sinner, Greg Gerou and Wayne Beyer attended the meeting.
MSC (Sinner, VanTassel) to approve March 15, 2018 minutes.
Dick Bell Catfish Tournament
- Justin Kratz, Tournament Chair announced it is scheduled from 7-11 AM on Saturday, June 2nd.
- $10 adult entries will be accepted from 6:45 to 9 AM. $100 club money is added to 1st place winner.
- Trophies are awarded to youth division placewinners. 1st place gets $50.
- Catfishing guide Brad Durick is unable to attend due to busy guiding schedule but is promoting it. He is willing to be a guest speaker.
- Greg Gerou and Wayne Beyer volunteered to help.
- Free NDGF mini-tackle boxes will be given to the youths.
- Invasive species handouts will be made available.
- Weight scale was donated by Greg Braun.
Mark Althoff accepted the club’s ‘Sportsman of the Year’ award. Some of his accomplishments include Youth Pheasant Hunt Chair, 22-year Long Lake Youth Fishing Derby (grown from eight to 200 youths), Richland 44 trap shooting coach and spear fishing mentor.
Murray Smart, MN State Legislature District 12A candidate addressed the club. He was a 21-year Breckenridge High School counselor and presently resides in Beardsley. He grew up in Windom and loves the outdoors. A brother-in-law worked for the MN DNR and introduced wild turkeys to the area. Murray is a member of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Ducks Unlimited and Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. He mentioned that only 5% of Americans hunt.
Cindie Van-Tassel reported Dan Aigner / Breckenridge High School Fishing Team is looking for support. The school is willing to be a fiscal host. 20 youths have paid the $40 registration fee. Adult fishermen will mentor two youths per boat.
MSC (VanTassel, Shasky) to contribute $500 to the Breckenridge High School Fishing Team.
- Future club grants will not be automatic contributions and past recipients will be informed about new process.
- Club members support requesting NDWF mileage, when available.
- Conceal Carry training class taught by John Boelke is scheduled on Saturday, June 30th at the Community Center, starting at 1 PM. Class 1 permit is good in 38 states, including Minnesota. Class 1 includes proficiency shooting and Class 2 is classroom only. Greg plans to help but would like another volunteer.
- ND Game & Fish Department needs volunteers at the State Fair on July 20-29.
- ND Game & Fish Department awarded a $2000 grant for next fall’s youth hunts.
- NDWF youth activities raffle tickets will be available at upcoming events.
- Chuck Haus is interested in obtaining wood duck nest boxes if any club members have available ones. Vern Shasky will deliver one from Abby Heitkamp.
- Mooreton Trap Club is replacing two trap shooting houses at estimated costs of $13,000 to $15,000. They will be requesting money from ND Game-Fish.
- Club is not sponsoring Ice Fishing Derby during city’s 150th Anniversary event on Saturday, February 2nd.
- Billy Dablow, KBMW radio has interest in the X-Box / Tackle Box program, where youths exchange X-Boxes for fishing tackle boxes.
- Bill payments include Friends of Lake Sakakawea (membership) – $50, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation (sponsorship) – $500, Minnesota DNR (habitat projects) – $500, ND Sportfishing Congress (membership) – $50, Ellen Anderson (scholarship) – $500, Brock Pearson (scholarship) – $500, North American Game Wardens Museum (Jeff Violett paver) – $250, Chahinkapa Zoo (donation) – $500, ND Archery Association (donation) – $250, Twist of Fate (deer archery hunt) – $300, Mooreton Trap Range (donation) – $600, Mooreton Rifle Range (donation) – $600, Head of the Red Trap Club (donation) – $600, Head of the Red Rifle Club (donation) – $600, Three Rivers Archery Club (donation) – $600, Camp Wilderness (Scout archery / shooting / fishing) – $500, Minnesota Women’s Fishing and Hunting (donation) – $250, Kirk Peterson (Hunters Smoker rifle) – $450, We Do Lasers (banquet plaques) – $82.53, Food Pantry (Hunters Smoker game) – $375, Rich Truesdell (Hunters Smoker guns) – $2259.14, Rich Truesdell (Vince Herding Fishing Derby supplies/equipment) – $616.85, Wahpeton High School (trap shooting team) – $348.40, Richland 44 (trap shooting team) – $294.80, Fairmount High School (trap shooting team) – $241.20, Milnor High School (trap shooting team) – $268, Breckenridge Big Shooters (trap shooting team) – $348.40, Econofoods (Jr. Wildlife food) – $36.19 and Heitkamp Construction (Ice Fishing Derby house) – $322.
- Income included $350 / deer hides and $100 / ND Sportfishing Congress raffle.
- Checking account balance is $18,416.
- MSC (VanTassel, Sinner) to approve financial report.
- ND Wildlife Federation meetings include July 11th road trip to Watford City and July 12th quarterly meeting in Velva.
- Members were encouraged to add spouses / significant others to their membership.
- Colfax-area farmer called about bounties for pocket gophers. Abercrombie Bar or Township Board were mentioned as possible sources.
MSC (Beyer, Oren) to approve $250 for Tewaukon Refuge Headquarters Open House on Tuesday, June 26th.
MSC (Beyer, Shasky) to write a letter to Senator Heidi Heitkamp, encouraging support of the ‘Reinvesting in America’s Wildlife Act.’
Ten youths attended the shoreline fishing event at Heitkamp Pond tonight. Addy Heitkamp caught the largest crappie. Next event is Wednesday, June 27th field trip to Dalton, MN Wildlife Museum. People Mover will leave Wahpeton Community Center at 5 PM. Schedule was previously emailed to membership.
- Turkey beard (adult) – Joe Keller, 9.25”, Sheyenne River Valley, 5-6-18.
- Crappie (adult) – Greg Braun, 13.5”, Silver Lake, May.
- Largemouth Bass (adult) – Vern Shasky, 19.25”, Pearl Lake, 6-2-18.
Public Relations Committee
- Brad Glarum will pull a float during the Blue Goose Days parade.
- 1000 lanyards were purchased that will be given to youths.
- There are around 250 Facebook friends.
Red River / ANS Committee
- Fishing pier benches have been received and are being put together.
- ANS project plans and ideas are encouraged. Brochures are being made available at the fishing derbies. Additional signage was suggested. Dispenser could be made available at the boat ramp and information displayed on the marquee.
- All local Bois de Sioux and Red River fishing piers have been placed for the season. Brushvale dock needs to be followed up.
- Vern Shasky and Greg Gerou installed the fishing pier and dock.
- A gravel pile in Korey Skovholt’s hard needs to be moved to the dock / pier area.
- Floats need to be attached to a pier. Additional floats are needed for the second pier.
Cindie VanTassel reported the MN DNR, Breckenridge Mayor Russ Wilson and Barry LeNoue / City of Breckenridge are OK with placement of the fishing pier presently stored in Welles Memorial Park.
Cindie VanTassel reported the first Family Fishing Night is scheduled on Monday, June 11th at the Kidder Recreation Area. Other dates are July 16th and August 13th. Fishing identification books will be given out. Rich Truesdell offered to get Fastenal water bottles. Breckenridge High School Fishing Team members will be encouraged to volunteer.
Rich and Becci Truesdell reported 130 youths attended the Vince Herding Youth Fishing Derby on a great weather day. Lots of rough fish were caught, kids enjoyed the hot dogs and all received a rod / reel combination. Comstock Construction volunteered a drone that took overhead photos. The Daily News provided excellent coverage.
MSC (Oren, Hoerer) to elect the following slate of officers – President Greg Gerou, Vice-President Brad Glarum, Secretary Abby Heitkamp, Treasurer Greg Braun and Board Members Brett Lambrecht (one-year term) and Rich Truesdell (two-year term).
Funding requests from Boys State and Scholarship Breckenridge were not approved.
Calendar of Events / Announcements.
- Saturday, June 2nd – Dick Bell Catfish Tournament at Kidder Recreation Area – 7-11 AM.
- Monday, June 11th – Family Fishing Night at Kidder Rec Area – 6:30 to 8:30 PM.
- Thursday, June 21st – club meeting at Community Center – 7:30 PM.
- Wednesday, June 27th – Jr. Wildlife / Preserve the Tradition Museum Field Trip – leave at 5 PM.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.