November 15, 2018
A Red River Area Sportsman’s Club meeting was held at the Wahpeton Community Center from 7:30 to 9:00pm on Thursday November 15, 2018. Greg Braun, Abby Heitkamp, Greg Gerou, Cindi Van Tassel, Vern Shasky, Curt Mund, Rich Truesdell, Becci Truesdell, Steve Truesdell, Wayne Beyer, Jerry Oren and Randy Hoerer attended the meeting.
Motion – Second – Carried (Shasky & S. Truesdell) to approve September 20th, 2018 minutes.
Presidents Report (Greg Gerou)
- Scheduled a budget meeting for Monday December 10th, 2018.
- Develop Landowner Conservation Award, recognizing a landowner(s) for their conservation work. PLOTS participation would be an example of recognition. Nominations can be from North Dakota and Minnesota. First draft has been drawn up and emailed out for board to review. Good feedback has been received and now looking to expand counties. Final draft will be sent out.
- Review proposal for changing ND deer hunting regulations.
- Youth – change youth deer season to October. Youth ages 11-13 get priority. Ages 13/14 automatically qualify for doe licenses and ages 15/16/17 automatically qualify for hunter’s choice. 18 and older regular lottery
- Automatic license for number of points, qualifying threshold
- Receive license award priority when a hunter has gone 3 to 4 years without
- 18 and older – hunters who have not been drawn for a tag in 3-4 years receive priority. Also, once a hunter receives so many priorities points they automatically qualify for a license. Vern, Becci, and Mandy will be putting together a proposal for the SEASC.
Treasurers Report (Greg Braun)
- Bill payments includes the following but is not limited to: Fairmount Locker $579.00, Eagles $1267.27, Wedst Guns $2632.00, Chamber Membership $105.00, Econo $689.00, Joe Keaveny $50.00, Roaster $192.09, Junior Wildlife Meal $102.17. Owed Mileage for youth pheasant.
- Donations $370.00
- Income includes the following but is not limited to: Ticket sales $1420.00, Smoker $43,18.00, Sunopta $100.00, Duson $350.00, Mooreton Trap $673.00.
- Checking account balance $40,006.95
- MSC (Bell, Mund) to approve treasurers report
Parks & Recreation
- ND Fish & Game – Director position will be offered to an individual from Montana.
SE Area Sportsman’s Club Committee
- SESC met last Monday at Hotcakes
- Require hunters safety – guaranteed Whitetail but not Muley
- Let NDGF know we are looking at charging for the meeting on December 3rd so legislators will be there.
- Look at paying for gratis tag – just land owner would receive. Will go under the SE sportsman’s club when draft is final.
Jr. Wildlife Club Committee (Cindie VanTassel, Rick Teberg & Rich Truesdell)
- Wood Carving – soap
- No meeting in December
- Received a new scholarship 11/15/2018 – needs to be reviewed
Discussion on adding ducks and geese to the contest. We need to formulate how track these species.
- Turkey beard (adult) – Joe Keller, 9.25”, Sheyenne River Valley, 5-6-18
- Pheasant Feather (adult)- Mark Althoff, 22.75″
- Pheasant Feather (adult)- Joe Keller, 22.75″
- Chinook Salmon (adult) – Don Resler, 53.6”, Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Coho Salmon (adult) – Brian Resler, 15 lb., Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Crappie (adult) – Mark Althoff, 14.75”, Long Lake, 6-27-18.
- Halibut (adult) – Brian Resler, 50 lb., Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Largemouth Bass (adult) – Vern Shasky, 19.25”, Pearl Lake, 6-2-18.
- Northern Pike (youth) – Hunter Gregor, 28.5”, 8-1-18.
- Sockeye Salmon (adult) – Don Resler, 12 lb., Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Walleye (adult) – Mark Althoff – 28.5”, Long Lake, 6-2-18.
- Rainbow Trout (adult) – Rick Teberg, 21.5”, MS.
RRASC Hunter’s Smoker (Becci Truesdell, Curt Mund, Rich Truesdell, Vern Shasky)
- 2018 Hunter’s smoker was a successful thanks to all the people who volunteered. A special thank you to the hunter’s smoker board (Becci, Curt, Rich, Vern) and to Cindie to getting the volunteers.
- We received feedback that it went to long, looking for ways to speed the night up. Considering beginning the general raffle earlier and any other recommendations are appreciated.
- Chuck Haus has already donated a deer for the 2019 smoker. We need freezer space.
- Get Dave Pauly a gift card for running gun register.
- Airport dumpster is full. Looking for volunteers to sort hides. Our current hide buyer isn’t interested in purchasing the hides, we will be looking for a new purchaser. We do have some leads. We are currently receiving $3.00 a hide and we use that money to pay for the dumpsters. Dumpsters will remain out until 11/30/2018.
Public Relations Committee (Rich Truesdell, Joe Keller, Brad Glarum and Cindie VanTassel)
- Zoo Boo was successful – 1600 kids attended
Red River/ANS Committee (Brett Lambrecht, Rich Truesdell and Larry Brunkhorst)
- Getting quotes no other updates currently.
Youth Pheasant Hunt (Mark Althoff)
- Thank you cards have been mailed out to the volunteers and host
- Christmas party will be on December 8th at 6:00 p.m. please send RSVPs to Cindy VanTassel.
- Looking to set up a Christmas tree dump into Heitkamp Pond. Dumping the old Christmas trees into the pond would create habitat for the fish.
- ND Youth Archery Committee is looking for donations for their state tournament on March 22 & 23.
- Received a letter from Prairie Pothole’s Jr Duck Stamp Program looking for donations. Last year we donated $250.00. Wayne Beyer made a motion to donate $250.00 and Cindie VanTassel seconded the motion.
- Barnes County Wildlife Federation fundraiser will be held April 6th, 2019. Tickets are $100.00, Wayne Beyer made a motion to purchase one ticket and Cunt Mund seconded the motion.
- South Side Boise De Sioux grant funding for Eagle Scout Memorial benches. Brett, Wayne and Greg will work on funding. Jan 31st grant request deadline. Rich will work on bids.
Calendar of Events
- Thursday, November 15 @ 6:00 p.m. – Jr Wildlife Carving
- Thursday, November 15th @ 7:30 p.m. RRASC Meeting at Hughes Shelter
- Saturday, December 1st – Richland County Wildlife Fundraiser
- Monday, December 3rd – ND Game Fish Fall Advisory Board Meeting at Hughes Shelter
- Saturday, December 8th – RRASC’s Annual Christmas party
- Thursday January 17th @ 6:00 p.m. – Jr Wildlife air rifle shooting
- Thursday January 17th @ 7:30 p.m. RRASC Meeting
The next meeting is scheduled at the Wahpeton Community Center on Thursday, January 17. There was no further discussions and meeting was adjourned.