October 18, 2018
A Red River Area Sportsman’s Club meeting was held at the Wahpeton Community Center from 7:30 to 9:00pm on Thursday October 18, 2018. Greg Braun, Abby Heitkamp, Kelly Carlson, Greg Gerou, Cindi Van Tassel, Vern Shasky, Curt Mund, Rick Teberg, Cathy Bell, Dick Bell, Paul Sinner, Daryl Eberhardt, Clarence Schutz, Rich Truesdell, Becci Truesdell, Kevin Mannock, Mark Althoff, Brett Lambrecht attended the meeting.
Motion-Second-Carried (Lambrecht & Bell) to approve September 20th, 2018 minutes.
Presidents Report – Greg Gerou
- Guns need to be inventoried after the smoker.
- Develop Landowner Conservation Award, recognizing a landowner(s) for their conservation work. PLOTS participation would be an example of recognition. Nominations can be from North Dakota and Minnesota. First draft has been drawn up and emailed out for board to review.
- Membership status update 05/13/2018 shows 116 individual members, 11 affiliated, associated and educational member groups, and 12 honorary lifetime members. Leaving us with a grand total of 139 total members.
- Review proposal for changing ND deer hunting regulations.
- Youth – change youth deer season to October. Youth ages 11-13 get priority. Ages 13/14 automatically qualify for doe licenses and ages 15/16/17 automatically qualify for hunter’s choice. 18 and older regular lottery
- Automatic license for number of points, qualifying threshold
- Receive license award priority when a hunter has gone 3 to 4 years without
- 18 and older – hunters who have not been drawn for a tag in 3-4 years receive priority. Also, once a hunter receives so many priority points they automatically qualify for a license. Vern, Becci, and Mandy will be putting together a proposal for the SEASC.
- A list of volunteers has been put together to help collect deer when there has been a vehicle/deer collision.
Treasurers Report – Greg Braun
- Bill payments include the following but not limited to:
- Bold Print – $16.05, Cindy Van Tassel – $34.52, Vern – $651.04, Rich T – $4804.00, Curt – $523.01, Teawauken/Heimbach Seed – $500.00
- Checking account balance $6,158.00
- MSC (Bell, Mund) to approve treasurers report
Jr. Wildlife Club Committee (Cindie VanTassel, Rick Teberg & Rich Truesdell)
- 10/18/18 7 kids attended firearms cleaning
- Will be setting up a both at Zoo Boo 10/30/18
Discussion on adding ducks and geese to the contest. We need to formulate how track these species.
- Turkey beard (adult) – Joe Keller, 9.25”, Sheyenne River Valley, 5-6-18
- Chinook Salmon (adult) – Don Resler, 53.6”, Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Coho Salmon (adult) – Brian Resler, 15 lb, Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Crappie (adult) – Mark Althoff, 14.75”, Long Lake, 6-27-18.
- Halibut (adult) – Brian Resler, 50 lb, Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Largemouth Bass (adult) – Vern Shasky, 19.25”, Pearl Lake, 6-2-18.
- Northern Pike (youth) – Hunter Gregor, 28.5”, 8-1-18.
- Sockeye Salmon (adult) – Don Resler, 12 lb, Alaska, 7-31-18.
- Walleye (adult) – Mark Althoff – 28.5”, Long Lake, 6-2-18.
- Rainbow Trout (adult) – Rick Teberg, 21.5”, MS.
Public Relations Committee (Rich Truesdell, Joe Keller, Brad Glarum and Cindie VanTassel)
- Chose not to advertise on Fb this year due to the breach that had just taken place
Red River/ANS Committee (Brett Lambrecht, Rich Truesdell and Larry Brunkhorst)
- Lambrecht inquired about grant for hauling gravel and establishing path. Gravel is free of cost from the county. Path is recommended to be 10 wide to leave spacing for two vehicles to pass each other. The path will run over the dike and ½ mile down to the river. Considering adding solar lights to establish path. Rich will start getting estimates on hauling gravel and establishing the path. If you are aware of any grants this project would qualify for please email it to Greg G and Brett L.
Mooreton Pond (Brad Glarum, Greg Gerou, Vern Shasky and Rich Truesdell).
- Greg G & Vern pulled out docks and piers. Pier needs 2 new wheels before next season. Hoefts & Greg G moved other dock to east end. Gravel delivered by Skovholts needs smoothing.
MN Fishing League
- End of the year Banquet is approaching with guest speaker Al Lindner & son Troy Lindner. Mn Fishing League is discussing having an ice fishing tournament.
Youth Pheasant Hunt (Mark Althoff)
- Friday 09/28/2018 at the trap range each youth hunter was given 2 boxes of shells to shoot and learned gun safety.
- Saturday 09/29/2018 each youth hunter received an upland hunting vest from RRASC, hats from Richland County Pheasants, they also received various items donated by Brad Glarum with the NWTF. There was a total of 8 roosters shot and Gunner Millers rooster was selected for a mount prepared by Jeff Schwatz. This event is sponsored by RRASC, ND F & G, NWTF, Richland County Pheasants, Mooreton Sportsmen’s Club and Manock Meats.
- Thank you to all volunteers including Chuck Haus, Mark Althoff, mentors and breakfast crew.
Hunters Smoker (Curt Mund, Vern Shasky, Becci Truesdell, Rich Truesdell)
- As of 10/20/2018 there were 43 books out of 70 turned in
- All food has been ordered and will be started Thursday
- Eagles is closing, we need to look for new venues – NDSCS is a possible option and rent is estimated at $500 but they do not have a kitchen.
- Still looking for volunteers- Abby will send mass email out.
- Dave Pauly will be in charge of gun registration
- Deer carcass dumpster are out and will remain out until 11/30/2018
Calendar of Events
- Thursday, November 15 @ 6:00 p.m. – Jr Wildlife Carving
- Thursday, November 15 @ 7:30 p.m. RRASC Meeting at Hughes Shelter
- Monday, December 3rd – ND Game Fish Fall Advisory Board Meeting at Hughes Shelter
- Saturday, December 8th – RRASC’s Annual Christmas party
- Thursday January 17th @ 6:00 p.m. – Jr Wildlife air rifle shooting
- Thursday January 17th @ 7:30 p.m. RRASC Meeting
The next meeting is scheduled at the Hughes Shelter on Thursday, November 15, 2018. There was no further discussions and meeting was adjourned.